we fill our lives with things
and again with things,
if we consider ourselves so important
that we must fill every moment of our lives
when will we have time
to make the long, slow journey
across the desert
as did the Magi?
Or sit and watch the stars
as did the shepherds?
Or brood over the coming of a child
as did Mary?
For each one of us
there is a desert to travel.
A star to discover.
And a being within ourselves to bring to life.
~Unknown - poem shared in class by my teacher.
- Have you ever taken a long, slow journey? What was that like?
- When you reached the end, was it worth it?
- Which word or phrase caught your attention?
- Ask the Lord, "How does this connect to my life/circumstances?"
- What might you be longing to discover, watch, enjoy in life? How do "things" and "filling every moment of our lives with action" interfere with your longing?
- Ask the Lord, "Lord, what are you inviting me toward?" Listen in and pay attention to how you feel about God's invitation.