Today marks the 2nd Sunday in Advent - celebrating Love...
Here is Jesus' invitation from John 15:
4"Live in me. Make your home in me just as I do in you.
In the same way that a branch can't bear grapes by itself
but only by being joined to the vine,
you can't bear fruit unless you are joined with me.
5-8"I am the Vine, you are the branches.
When you're joined with me and I with you,
the relation intimate and organic, the harvest is sure to be abundant.
Separated, you can't produce a thing.
Anyone who separates from me is deadwood,
gathered up and thrown on the bonfire.
But if you make yourselves at home with me and my words are at home in you,
you can be sure that whatever you ask will be listened to and acted upon.
This is how my Father shows who he is—
when you produce grapes,
when you mature as my disciples.
9-10"I've loved you the way my Father has loved me.
Make yourselves at home in my love.
If you keep my commands, you'll remain intimately at home in my love.
That's what I've done—
kept my Father's commands and made myself at home in his love.
11ff"I've told you these things for a purpose:
that my joy might be your joy, and your joy wholly mature.
This is my command: Love one another the way I loved you.
This is the very best way to love.
- Read the passage above outloud a few times. What words or phrases do you notice?
- Read the passage again: Silently give space to ask the Lord, "How does this word or phrase connect to my heart, my life circumstances?" Listen in for any inkling of a gentle connection.
- Read the passage again: Ask the Lord, "What are you inviting me toward?" Again, sit quietly listening for His gentle wooings of something He wants you to pay deeper attention to.
- Journal or discuss: In the midst of listening I sensed God saying..... How I feel about this invitation is.... (nervous, at peace, confused, doubtful, more interested....)
- Journal or discuss: What makes you feel at home? How might you become more at home in God's love? How might you draw what "feeling at home"?
and the new sisterblog: www.mybodyrefresh.com