“To do for yourself
the best that you have it in you to do –
to grit your teeth and clench your fists
in order to survive the world
at its harshest and worst –
is, by that very act, to be unable
to let something be done for you and in you
that is more wonderful still.
The trouble with steeling yourself against the harshness of reality
is that the same steel that secures your life against being destroyed [further wounded] secures your life also against being opened up and transformed.”
Frederick Buechner in The Sacred Journey
- What, in this reading, most strikes you (unnerves or ignites you)?
- Take a moment to sit with that word/phrase with curiousity and compassion....wondering what gifts it holds for your life?
- Now ask the Lord, "How does this connect to my life and circumstances?" Listen in...is it connected to a relationship? finances? work? your spiritual growth?
- Ask the Lord: "What are you inviting me toward?"
- As you sense God's invitation, how do you feel about it.
- Consider journaling more about this. Or - if your feeling had a shape and a color- try drawing that shape and color. Or - share what you discovered with a close soul friend.